Thursday, November 20, 2008

The day the wall came down !

It was Aug. 14 2000. That was the day the wall came down. I had started my own business. It was a tourist business. I was getting busy in the winter months but did not develope the business into the summer months. I got a phone call from a construction superintendant that I had worked for before. He wanted to know if I would come to work on his job. I was working on a house at the time. The house was such a good job. Clean, above ground, not as much heavy work etc. The kicker was that the job that I talked to the superintendent about was to last longer. So I jumped at the job.
There was a part crew already on the site. One fella there was bound and determined to be the foreman. I gladly agreed and let him be the Foreman. I had nothing to prove with the boss. The job went on for awhile and no safety meetings. The job site was getting dangerous. I talked to the superintendent and said that we needed a safety meeting. A week after my request I got injured.
Our first wall was about to go up. It was fourteen feet high. It was long way to long. I told the fella that was the foreman from hell that the wall was way to big to lift on our own. He quickly disagreed with me and started rounding up the crew to lift this wall. I was totally reluctant but he continued with the push to lift it.
Long to short of it is that they started to lift so I ran over to help the crew. I was right by the corner of the building. the outer side of the building had a seven ply 2x6 post holding up a 2x10 door header. This was a double door to the outside of the building. I grabbed on to the other 7 ply 2x6 post that was the inner side of the door opening.
We got it up over our heads. Then it stopped like I figured. I had way too much wall on my side and the extra weight of the header and posts made the wall start to sag over my head. The bottom of the wall came off the floor. I suddenly had the full weight of the wall on my body. I could not move my legs. The wall started to bend me in half at my thoracic spine. I could feel my ligaments and tenons tearing and coming off bone. It felt like my guts were going to come out my bottom end onto the floor. I screamed for help and my life. Two or three people whom were on the site already came to my assistance to get the weight off my body.
The damage was done. That quick it was over. My life was changed forever. I compressed three discs in my spine tonnes of muscle and tenon damage. worst was my thoracic spine. The disc was trashed and it was impinging my spinal cord. I was totally useless. I could not do a thing where it didn't bother my back from that day on. I suffered from headache, dizziness, nausea, extreme pain all over the body but worse at my thoracic back. I blacked out got sick and the pain was like nothing I had ever experienced..................... THE REHAB IS NEXT. Remember to write down or think of one good thing that happened to you today. It is early yet so I am going to say one good thing that happened to day was my son Ben helped me up out of bed this morning !!! Talk to you later talk care of yourself

No comments: