Friday, November 21, 2008

It's time to go back to work/get better.

This is tricky part of an injury. I think it is one of the most crucial times and what you do with this time can totally alter the outcome of your injury. This is the first stage of "rehab". You can enter this stage with knowing exactly what your injury is or not knowing. The important thing to remember is it is ultimately up to you what kind of rehab you choose.
In my case I had the wall come down on me. I hurt everywhere. I went to the emergency and when I came out I was a strong, young thirty three year old that had allot of stained muscle and not to worry but to take some time off and take these pills.
I was hopeful yet doubtful. Here is where the big changes were made. My insurance company started to drive my health care. I thought that this was best because they wanted to see me better right? WRONG they just wanted me out of the office and off the payroll. ONLY YOU can drive the health care you need and you should only do it with your doctor.
I ended up doing these ridiculous exercises and back to work hardening sessions. No one looked close enough with the right machinery (IE MRI machine) to see the full extent of the damage. I would get sick and turn grey and white and get dizzy while doing any movements. My insurance company wanted me back to work that was it. I even went back to work because the quilt trip that insurance companies put you on. I didn't last long. I was back in the hospital.
This was my first experience with "rehab". You see that I should have listened to me. The doctor that I had at the time wasn't any help. You have to make sure you have the right doctor too. One that listens to you and does their best to get you the help you need. I had a doctor that would give me more pills and say take two more weeks off another two weeks etc etc. I needed a doctor that wanted the same as me. That is to get to the problem and start to get better.
I went along with all the information that I had. I didn't know better and I didn't know anyone that was in my situation before. It wasn't long and I was in the hospital. This was when I met my doctor. He is still my doctor to this day. I was not able to walk stand lay down or sit. The pain was too bad. It was the worse pain that I have ever felt in my life. It scared the hell out of me. I ended up in the hospital getting a shot of pain killer every 4 hours . If the shot was late by minutes I would be in the same extreme pain. This went on while they tried to figure out what would make me comfortable enough to send me back home. Nothing would work. Next thing I knew I was on my way by air ambulance to get surgery. This is part one of a list of posts to explain the beginning of my chronic pain. I look forward to talking with everyone again later on.
Remember one good thing that happened in your life today. For me the external machine that tells my internal machine what to do started working this morning. It quit yesterday and my pain was starting to get real bad by the time I got up. I am a happier camper now !!!

No comments: